Monday 28 October 2013

C is for Concert, D is for Dixie Chicks


In my former incarnations I have had several jobs in music-related industries.  I once interned for RCA Records in Los Angeles, and also worked for four years at The Georgia Straight in Vancouver. One of the upsides to these jobs was being able to feed my fetish for live music via the company guest lists, and I was able to see a lot of really great bands, from really great seats, for very little (or no) money.

Even after leaving the world of the freebie, I continued to love live music, and have seen everything from K.D. Lang playing a private birthday party for her manager at a little club in Vancouver, to Blue Rodeo at a 200 person venue in London, to Elton John at the Los Angeles Sports Arena, to Live Aid (yes, the first one) at Wembley Arena. And, of course, having spent over 25 years living in London spoils a person for choice, as almost every band every known has played there one time or another.

Well, Kelowna has Prospera Place, I am happy to say; a world class venue, for tours of a world class nature.  It has, in the last year, hosted concerts by John Fogerty, Journey and Sting, and last night went all out country with The Dixie Chicks. The fact that bands of this stature fit Kelowna into their busy tour schedules speaks well of the city, and also of the bands themselves and their taste in cities.  I mean who wouldn't want to spend a day or two in this lovely place, even if working.

Sadly, I didn't get to go last night, as my poor hubby had man flu and I was busy mopping his fevered (not-so-much) brow, but you had better believe I'll be first in line for Blue Rodeo in the new year. That's January 6, folks. Mark your diaries now.
~
Prospera Place: 1223 Water Street, Kelowna | 250 979 0888
www.prosperaplace.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment: