Thursday 27 March 2014

A Donut By Another Name...

 

One of the things I love about travelling, is discovering local 'foody' delicacies; the things which once eaten forever anchor you to that particular place.

Case in point.  New York. One of the first things I like to do when in the Big Apple is treat myself to a giant salted pretzel off a corner cart, and eat it while walking down Fifth Ave.  Paris, to me, is all about a glass of 'vin blanc' at a sidewalk cafe or a glass of bubbly at the Champagne Bar at Galleries Lafayette. San Diego is all about authentic beef and bean burritos at a 'hole in the wall' drive in restaurant. Scotland, scarily enough, is all about the quest for a deep-fried Mars Bar. (Yes, there is a reason I am frequently 20lbs above my fighting weight!)

So when I saw the above sign outside Specialty Bakery on Hollywood Road, I knew I had to give one a try. Result? Oh. My. God. 'Kelownuts'. Yum.

A 'Kelownut' is a cross between a croissant and a donut, filled with a yummy Bavarian creme filling and covered in a lovely glazed coating. And... it is every bit as delicious as the description would have you believe. Today I contented myself with one (this donut hybrid is substantially more filling than the regular kind) but next time I'm in the neighbourhood I think I'll be picking up a half- dozen or so... to share, of course.

Specialty Bakery: #16 - 150 Hollywood Road South, Kelowna; 250 762 4437.
(PS: There is also a larger branch with a bistro at #101 - 833 Finn's Road, Kelowna; 250 765 5822.)

2 comments:

  1. Just like a cronut I presume?! Wow. This, however, still hasn't been ticked off of my 'to eat before I die' list.

    PS. Thank you, you now have been craving for a deep fried Mars Bar, but may I also say how good a deep fried Double Decker is. We can be 20lbs above our fighting weight together. #foodoverfashion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jemma, exactly. New York has cronuts and Kelowna has Kelownuts - filled with Bavarian cream, which may be the local twist. Scarily good, and may well be 40lbs above fighting weight before long. Yum yum.

      Delete

Please leave a comment: