Friday 10 May 2013

A Little Recommendation is Good for the Soul...


One thing I don't miss about the big bad city (London, New York, LA, et al) is the furious level of competition generated by the ridiculously large populations.  Don't get me wrong, I think a level of competition is healthy, but in London it has reached a fever pitch, whereby it was not just 'dog eat dog', but 'cat eat cat' and even 'mouse eat mouse'. Everyone is fighting for every inch of space, which has generated the very unhealthy philosophy of thinking that if something good happens to anyone else, that means there is less for you. Blech. Sad face.

I much prefer to subscribe to a more spiritually enlightened philosophy that by helping and being happy for our fellow beings, we generate more good, not just for them, not just for us, but for everyone. Call me idealistic, or even hippy dippy, but that is how I chose to live my life.

And that, in part, is why my husband and I chose to move to Kelowna.  Small(er) towns still have a sense of community, and a sense of the greater good.  Nowhere better have I seen this exemplified than at the utterly lovely homewares store Olive & Elle.

Located on the corner of Pandosy and Lawrence downtown, owner Linda Povarchok and her right hand Kandace - being the lovely and approachable individuals that they are - found they were answering so many questions from tourists about where to go, or where to eat, or where to shop, that they have had cards printed up declaring 'Olive & Elle Recommend'. I LOVE this.

I think Lynda knows instinctively that being protectionist is not really good business. Shoppers will find their way to the best places in Kelowna, whether she helps them or not, so why not help them?  It's just good karma, and the little cards are great advertising for the store, and I'm sure they ensure a very good portion of these visitors return.

If you need any further convincing the Olive & Elle is full of nice people, deserving your shopping dollars, then have a quick read of the 'mission statement' on their website homepage.

'Olive & Elle was born out of a need and a desire to share wonderful things with wonderful people. In the four years that we've been open, we've befriended many of you who have passed through our doors and it's our absolute joy to continue to operate a sort of corner of domestic therapy in downtown Kelowna. Please do come visit soon and let us share our home with you.'

A little good will goes a long way and in times of economic austerity, I don't know about you, but I would much rather give nice people my money. Hurrah for Olive & Elle. Happy Face.

~

Olive & Elle is located at 1585 Pandosy, Kelowna, V1Y 1P5. Telephone: (250) 862-2778. Or check them out on line at their website http://www.oliveandelle.com or on their blog http://oliveandelle.blogspot.ca.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment: